Friday, July 11, 2008

Catching Up With The Kids...



A few of the Hurricanes young prospects have been in Raleigh over the last few days taking part in what has become an annual right of passage - Pete Friesen's Prospect Conditioning Camp. Participants this year include prized prospects Brandon Sutter and Jamie McBain as well as this year's draft picks including Zach Boychuk, Zac Dalpe, and Samuel Morneau. Newly signed back-up goalie Micheal Leighton has been taking part as well.

Luke DeCock has been providing updates over on Lord Stanley's Blog, including a short interview today (Thursday) with Jamie McBain.

I'm hoping to be able to make it over to the Rec Zone tomorrow (Friday) to catch some of the on ice "action". Meanwhile Bubba over at Canes Country is rubbing elbows with the real media types and scoring a Q&A with Brandon Sutter. He will be unstoppable if he ever learns how to operate a video camera. The always entertaining WufPirate over at Carolina On Ice was also on hand to check on the kids and give his take on the proceedings.

Also of note in the offseason updates department, Tim Conboy, recent recipient of a new 2 year contract, has a Q&A over on the Albany River Rats website. Some of my favorite nuggets:


You told me earlier, and you’re not the only one to say it, that the Hurricanes have really treated you well and it is the only place you want to be. How come so many people say great things about the ‘Canes organization and how they treat their players?


Top to bottom, you look at the organization and it’s everything you want. A class organization. The general manager, the coaching staff, the equipment staff, everything from top to bottom, you just couldn’t ask for anything better. They got a great thing working right now; they’re doing the right things.

You made your debut with the Canes last year and it seemed like you became an instant fan favorite as well. Were you at all surprised at how quickly the fan base really seemed to take to you?


Yeah, it was crazy. I think the first fight I had against Scott Parker they were playing that old trucker song “You Got a Great Big Convoy”. (Laughs) I remember hearing that and thinking ‘Wow that was fast, I can’t believe they even knew that song was out already.’ It was definitely surprising to see that many people cheering for me every night, it was nice.


Obviously, you’re where you want to be which is in the NHL. And to play in such a great atmosphere at the RBC Center, is that the pinnacle of what a hockey player dreams about?


Yeah, it’s unbelievable. Going out there, you throw the littlest body check--it doesn’t even have to be a big check, you can just be rubbing out a guy--and the place goes nuts. It’s a pretty intense atmosphere to be in and something I think every kid dreams of when they step on the ice for the first time.


Does the big crowd add to your play? You have always been a pretty fiery, energetic guy. Does that just fuel your passion and hunger?


Definitely. You hear the roar of the crowd and it just puts a fire in your belly. You want to go out there and do something so they get loud again.


The other part of your first stint with Carolina was playing as a forward. Do you think that really makes a difference in your appeal to the team because of your versatility of being able to play both forward and defense?


You know I was telling everybody I probably don’t even need to use a stick out there, so just stick me wherever and I’ll just try to run guys over. (Laughs) But no, it was fun playing forward; it’s something I’ve gotten to do a little bit before in my pro career. I’m glad they trust me enough to think I’m able to go back and forth like that. I just think it’s a great asset for me to have.


If you so desire, you can also check out Offseason Q&As with Casey Boerer and Michael Leighton as well.

4 comments:

cleverlazy said...

you are so obviously Canadian, Martin!

Anonymous said...

Check out my blog.

m david hall said...

Spitz, it's so true. I should be Canadian, eh? BTW, do you realize that you ceased publication of Clever Lazy on my birthday? Not much fo a present!!

m david hall said...

Canesrdebest,
Nice blog! Always great to meet a fellow Caniac. You've been blogrolled.